- Knowledgable about horse care and welfare with extensive practical experience (equivalent to BHS Stage 3 Care as minimum)
- A great communicator, diplomatic, sympathetic, able to have difficult conversations and positively influence people
- A passionate educator with the skills and knowledge to help local equestrians stay current with their horse care
Many welfare cases result from lack of knowledge or understanding rather than wilful cruelty. Our Welfare Officers work to prevent welfare cases through advice, support and education, building up relationships with their local equestrians so people feel comfortable asking for support when they need it.
Diplomacy is paramount, nobody wants to hear they have let their horse down or worse, caused them pain. Horse owners can feel overwhelmed, embarrassed or uncomfortable; sometimes they are genuinely going through a very difficult time: loss of a family member, financial difficulties; our Welfare Officers advocate for the horse while supporting the owner.
Some of our Welfare Officers take additional training in our ‘Friends at the End’ scheme. These volunteers are paired up with owners local to them who need to make end of life decisions for their horses.
As you can imagine our Volunteer Welfare Officers are very compassionate people, but this role can take an emotional toll. It is important that you know when to stop, when to remove yourself from a situation, when to take a breather. We are looking for people who are emotionally resilient and have other hobbies or interests they can unwind with.
You will need:
- Access to a car, mobile telephone and private email address
- Availability to attend training days and seminars
- To take responsibility for following the law (we will teach you about this) and working within our policies and guidelines
- An interest and willingness to cooperate with our partners and other organisations working in this field
You will only be able to act on behalf of the Society when you have completed introductory training and been issued with an ID card.
We are looking to fill Welfare Officer roles in the following areas:
- All areas except Kent.