Applications close Friday 7th December 2018.
Main purpose of job
- To lead and motivate a dedicated team to:
- deliver excellent equine and stakeholder (supporters, sponsors, visitors, re-homers etc) care
- enable the rescue, rehabilitation and (where possible) re-homing of equines and
- improve the lives of a range of off-site equines in need
- To manage Hope Pastures as an efficient and effective sanctuary, minimising costs and maximising income, whilst maintaining best practice standards
- To ensure all animals on site and in foster care are cared for in accordance with Hope Pastures’ policy and procedures and current animal welfare legislation
- Full manual driving licence
- The personThe successful candidate will be business-minded, assertive, hardworking and reliable with good organisational and time management skills. This will be balanced by a good knowledge of equine care and welfare, plus the ability to work with and develop a happy and productive team.You will be articulate and confident in communicating at all levels. A positive personality, good sense of humour and flexibility are vital to adapt to the variety of challenges and demands presented at a busy, established site. You will enjoy public interface and providing an excellent service for visitors, re-homers, supporters and volunteers.
A suitable level of fitness is required as the role will occasionally require physical activity.
The manager will be responsible for managing the sanctuary, the welfare of all employees, volunteers and animals; security and maintenance of buildings and all property belonging to Hope Pastures and for the health & safety of all persons on site or working at Hope Pastures’ events off site.
- Develop and maintain a happy and efficient team, dealing openly and promptly with personnel issues when they arise
- Ensure the team is recruited, trained and mentored to provide excellent animal and customer (stakeholder) care and understands the operational requirements of the sanctuary
- Support the team through change and plan an effective strategy for the sanctuary in line with the 3 Year Plan.
- Work with the Welfare Coordinator to optimise the rehoming operation, both at the sanctuary and through off site homing schemes and short-term fosterers, in order to maximise the numbers of animals helped
- Work with statutory, and Hope Pastures’, Health & Safety rules, ensuring the safety of all persons and animals on site at all times
- Ensure compliance with all other legislation pertaining to the work of Hope Pastures, and with Hope Pastures’ policies
- Regularly review, and seek continuous improvement in, operations, systems and procedures to maximise effectiveness at the sanctuary
- Set annual budgets and ensure the sanctuary achieves its budget targets while delivering a high level of animal welfare
- Manage the centre finances efficiently and promote an environment of cost awareness
- Uphold best practice in team, customer, animal and financial management, ensuring accurate paper and electronic records are kept,
- Support and organise, as appropriate, income generating initiatives
- Identify, manage and mitigate business and operational risk
Other duties and responsibilities
- Oversee and promote new initiatives, ensuring these are adopted by the sanctuary team and results are maximised
- Liaise with the trustees to deliver the advertising and PR for the sanctuary. This includes all media and on-site POS
- Ensure the site, facilities and equipment are maintained and presented to a high standard
- Enable the development of volunteers and the assistance they provide for the sanctuary
- Contribute to projects and meetings, travelling off-site when required
- Positively maintain and promote good relationships within Hope Pastures, across all other charities, welfare bodies and foster homes
- Positively develop and maintain links with appropriate external organisations/businesses and to enhance the image of Hope Pastures
- Organise and/or attend targeted events which maximise awareness of Hope Pastures locally
- Manage the tender process and oversee external contractors and professionals employed on site.
If you’re interested in this role, please complete our Standard Application Form and send this, with a covering email explaining why you’d like to be part of our team and how you feel you can help us, to email@example.com in the first instance.